Friday, January 23, 2009

The Second Animal Collective Post This Week

I think I need to echo Guy's post from last Friday and tell you all to check out Animal Collective if you haven't already. They've been together for almost a decade, but they've reached a new peak with their latest album, Merriweather Post Pavillion. They've cultivated a musical style that began as inaccessible art rock into a genre-transcending sound that's intricate and cerebral but also irresistably catchy and immesely danceable. (Please excuse my hipster douchebag writing style.) This is a band and an album people will be talking about for decades. I know that's a grandiose statement, but I'm not exaggerating.

You can listen to Merriweather Post Pavillion in its entirety here:
http://au.myspace.com/dominorecordsoz

For those of you who aren't used to listening to this type of music, it may strike you as strange at first, but if you listen to the whole album, I'm sure it will grow on you.

I went to their concert last night at the Metro in Chicago, and it was absolutely mind-blowing. Imagine the high energy and good vibes of a jam band concert but with much better music and far fewer hippies. The band is going to play a show at the Turner Ballroom in Milwaukee on May 19. Tickets are only $20. I already bought mine. I hope some of you in the Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison triangle will get tickets too (especially Ted since you live a mile away from the venue). Maybe we can make an event of it.

No comments: