Sunday, April 13, 2008

'Jeff, something's stinking again'


I just discovered Google Maps - Streetview. I'm not sure how long it's been a function, but it is fucking awesome.

StreetView essentially allows you to step down into your mapped location and look around the area as if you were standing in the middle of the road. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'm sure you'll be extremely impressed, and a little scared (was the window open when I was doing those naked jumping jacks?).

Just map any location, like perhaps Jeffrey Dahmer's old apartment building (or at least where it once stood - it's since been razed), then click the StreetView button to open a new window that allows you to do some exploring by way of neat arrow buttons, a radical zoom bar, and a sweet draggable viewpoint. Are those severed limbs in that alley?

Thank You Google for stealing another 13 hours of my night in the name of geography.

Enjoy, geographers, enjoy.

2 comments:

teddytoothtaker said...

Just Buying Some Crack in Chicago:

http://streetviewgallery.corank.com/tech/framed/just-buying-some-crack

I guess google removed the original images but this angle was left on.

Dubb said...

You are blowin' up my spot L.